Your Cart is empty
Embracing your natural beauty isn’t just confined to having a positive body image; it needs to include your hair as well! Although we all love to play around with our hair – dyeing it all manner of colours, straightening it so it’s poker-straight or curling it into cascading waves – sometimes we just need to embrace our hair’s natural beauty. Wavy and curly hair can be a bigger challenge than straight hair; all that gorgeous texture and slow growth means a daily struggle! Some of us here at ClipHair HQ have wavy hair too, so we know how difficult maintaining beautiful curly & wavy hair can be – and if you add extensions things can get complicated!
But follow some simple tips and we promise you that your curly or wavy hair and extensions will be much easier to manage.
(Off on holiday soon? Check out our post about caring for your clip ins while on holiday)
What is the difference between curly and wavy clip in extensions?
CURLY CLIP IN HAIR EXTENSIONS
WAVY HAIR EXTENSIONS
There are so many ways we can classify our hair – by the way it looks, how it feels, its colour… but did you know you can also classify hair type using patterns?
What are the patterns?
Patterns are a way of defining how straight or curly your hair grows naturally. Super straight hair is pattern 1, wavy hair is pattern 2, curly hair is pattern 3 and coily hair is pattern 4.
Folk with wavy, curly and coily hair tend to have more than one pattern in their head of hair; it’s typically made up of 2 to 3 curl patterns. Fact – the hair along the nape of your neck has the tightest curls!
The difference between our curly and wavy clip in extensions is that curly extensions are made up of a blend of pattern 3 curls, and wavy clip in extensions have a blend of pattern 2 curls.
What is the curl pattern on the curly extensions?
(Our curly clip-in extensions are made with type 3 curls.)
Our curly clip in extensions are made with type 3 curls. Type 3 curls consist of three different curl patterns – 3a, 3b and 3c. The main curl in our curly clip ins is 3b, but it contains a mix of 3a and 3c as well to give your hair a more natural look and blend in more easily with your natural hair.
What is the curl pattern on the wavy extensions?
(Our wavy clip in extensions are made with type 2 curls.)
Our wavy clip in extensions are made with Type 2 curls. Again, this contains a blend of curl patterns – 2a, 2b, and 2c. 2b and 2c are mainly used in this set for a well-blended and natural look.
How to take care of your curly/wavy clip in hair extensions?
(Be gentle with your curly or wavy clip in hair extensions and they’ll last much longer. Most of the details are the same as for regular hair extensions, there are just a few small differences.)
Your hair extensions will last longer if you take care of them, but the rules need to change slightly when you’re caring for curly or wavy hair extensions. Here are your curly hair commandments:
– Dry your curly clip-in extensions naturally by laying them on a towel instead of hanging them. This way the weight of the water can’t pull out your bouncy curls.
– Scrunch product into your hair, never brush it in. To do this, just rub the product between your hands and scrunch it throughout your hair. If you’re using a spray, simply spray it all over and then scrunch it into your hair with your hands instead of brushing it in.
– Use a wide-toothed comb to keep things fuzz-free. Use a fine comb or brush and you risk turning your hair into a bushy disaster! A wide-toothed comb helps maintain your beautiful curly strands whilst keeping your locks knot-free.
– Coconut oil-based products are a firm friend for curly girls, helping your hair look shiny and healthy. BUT if you have extensions that have been glued in – such as tape hair – you should avoid coconut oil products at all costs as coconut oil contains an enzyme that will weaken the bonds and make your extensions slip.
How to wash the curly or wavy hair extensions?
(Washing curly or wavy extensions is pretty much the same as washing regular extensions, with the exception of three things!)
Wash your curly or wavy hair extensions in the same way as you would wash any other clip in extensions but make a few small adjustments.
– Never brush your hair – instead use a wide-toothed comb to comb through your extensions before washing.