Your Cart is empty
on today's blog:
Nano Ring Hair Extensions 101 Guide
reading time: 10 minutes.
+ Index (click to open)
- What Are Nano Ring Hair Extensions?
- Application Guide: How To Put In Nano Ring Hair Extensions?
- Nano Rings Before And After
- Cost & Buying Guide
- Nano Ring Hair Extensions Pros And Cons
- Alternatives To Nano Rings
- Removing & Refitting Nano Ring Hair Extensions
- Nano Ring Hair Extensions Aftercare & Lifespan
- Nano Ring Extension FAQS
What are Nano Ring Hair Extensions? (back to index)
Nano Rings are a fairly new innovation of professional hair extensions that were inspired by the “Micro Ring” technique. They are made from strands of human hair held together with a strong keratin bond tipped with a super small metal loop. The Nano Ring method was specifically designed for anyone with thin or fine hair, due to their tiny size they are the most discreet and undetectable form of permanent hair extension in the industry today.
It's very common in the hair extension world to find different names used for the same products, this can be confusing to the customer. Nano Hair Extensions are referred to as a few different names, we have listed and explained them below for you.
- Nano Tip Hair Extensions - This is the correct term for the actual hair extension strands.
- Nano Ring Extensions - Even though this is not actually the most accurate way to describe Nanos this is the most recognized term. What it really refers to is the whole method.
- Nano Bead Hair Extensions - Nano Beads are the beads or rings that are used to clamp the extensions (tips) to your hair.
Application Guide: How to put in Nano Ring Hair Extensions? (back to index)
Nanos are a type of permanent hair extension, they will be attached to the hair for several weeks before being removed. For this reason we strongly advise having them applied by a trained professional, this will prevent any damage to your own hair and also ensure they look and feel totally invisible.
They are applied without the use of any heat or glue making them one of the least damaging and easiest extension methods to have. You will need specialist hair extensions tools to apply them. Read on to find out what you need and how to do it.
What you need:
- 2-2.5mm silicone lined Nano Beads
- Extension pliers
- Extension clamp tool
- Hair Extension loop tool
- Pintail comb
Step by Step application:
- Section the hair neatly, 2 sections at the sides and 2 at the back. Remember to keep an inch away from the hairline and parting at all times to ensure the extensions do not show.
- Thread a bead onto the natural hair strand (just under 1cm wide). Use your extension loop tool to do this by pulling the natural hair through the loop and pushing the bead up onto the hair.
- Now take a Nano Tip hair strand and push the metal tip into the bead with the natural hair.
- Next, tightly clamp the bead shut with your pliers or clamp tool, whichever you prefer using.
- Repeat as many times as needed. In the “Cost & Buying Guide” section of this blog we fully explain the amount of hair extensions you will need for each hair type and desired finish.
Nano Rings Before and After (back to index)
How stunning is this transformation by @ccluxehair. The stylist has used 22” Nano Rings in shade #16/60 to add both length and volume to the clients finer hair.
Cost & Buying Guide (back to index)
There are 2 main factors that make up the price of Nano Ring Hair Extensions, this is the product cost and the application fee. The product cost is the price of the actual hair and the application fee is paying for the stylists skill and time.
Quantity and Quality will determine the price of your hair extensions, the length and colour that you choose will also affect the final cost. With any permanent hair extensions you should always opt for at least AAA quality, Remy Human hair as this will last longer and look far more natural.
At Cliphair we have a wide range of lengths and colours in our Nano collection all made from the finest AAAAA grade quality, Double drawn, Remy Human Hair. Double drawn means all the shorter hairs have been taken out leaving the hair as thick at the top as it is at the bottom, this is known as the best quality of hair extensions. Our Nanos come with 50 strands per pack starting from £70 up to £90. We are proud to offer some of the most affordable prices for top quality hair extension products in the UK.
For a standard full head of Nano extensions you will need between 150-200 strands of hair, this would be 3-4 packs from Cliphair. For a half head 50-100 strands should be enough, this would be 1-2 packs. Its best to have a face to face consultation with your stylist before ordering your hair so they can advise the correct amount and length.
As Nano Hair Extensions are small they take a long time to apply so the actual application cost is more expensive than other methods. As the price is the stylist or salons choice it can vary quite a lot, the location will also have an impact. From our research for a full head application of Nanos it usually costs between £250-£400, this is not including the cost of the hair.
You will also need to have maintenance appointments every 6-8 weeks to push the extensions back up, otherwise known as repositions or refits. This is usually cheaper than your first initial visit as it will not include the product cost.
Nano Ring Hair Extensions Pros and Cons (back to index)
- Great for very thin or fine hair
- Extremely discreet, 40% smaller than other micro-ring methods
- Great for people who like to wear their hair up
- Can apply them very close to the hairline
- Long lasting
- Least damaging - No heat or glue used to apply
- Time consuming application
- More expensive due to the small size
- Too small for thick hair
- Less secure than other methods
The biggest advantage of Nano Ring Hair Extensions is truly in the size. Before Nanos were invented, most hair extensions were not suitable for anyone with extremely fine or thin hair as they would be visible to others or too heavy on the fragile, natural hair. Due to their tiny size and gentle application we finally have an option for thin hair to safely enhance the length and thickness.
To find out more read our blog Which Hair Extensions Types Are Best For Fine Hair.
Alternatives to Nano Rings (back to index)
Like everything, Nanos do still have some disadvantages. Luckily, for every disadvantage there is a solution in another hair extension method! Read on to find out…
1. Time-consuming - As Nanos are so tiny, applying 150-200 of them (a full head) can take some time, between 4-6 hours including styling and cutting. Although the results are absolutely worth it for some people this is simply just too long, we get that. If you're looking for a faster option that's still safe for fine hair, Tape-In Extensions are a perfect choice. Tapes are not as discreet when you wear your hair up but they lay flat to the head so remain undetectable in fine hair when its down.
2. Expensive - As Nanos are so delicate they do cost more than other micro ring methods. Again, the results are more than worth it but this method may not fit into your budget. For a cheaper option that is still good for wearing the hair up we would suggest I-Tips Hair Extensions. Nanos are a 40% smaller version of this method using the exact same application however the rings can be used multiple times and the hair can still be worn up without the worry of the extensions being seen. This method is great for anyone with fine to average hair thickness, for extremely fine hair we would advise sticking with Nano Rings as the rings used with I-Tips are slightly bigger.
3. Not suitable for thick hair - This is due to the amount of strands and the time it would take to blend naturally with thick hair. Nanos are specifically made for people with thin or fine hair as they aren't able to use other bulkier options. For thick hair we would advise using a Hairweft or Weave as this method is super fast and secure. You can even have a combination of both if you enjoy wearing your hair up by having Nano Tips on the sides and a Weave at the back! For more information check out our full blog on Combining Hair Extensions.
Removing & Refitting Nano Ring Hair Extensions (back to index)
6-8 weeks after your first application of Nano Rings you should revisit your stylist to have a maintenance refit appointment. As your own natural hair grows, your extensions grow with it, after this length of time your rings will have moved down the hair and may start to tangle with each other. Find out on more what makes hair tangle in our blog and how to untangle them with tricks and tips.
They will also be more noticeable the further they have dropped so it's super important to attend your refit as your stylist will push the hair back up and check for any matting or issues. You should have maintenance appointments every 6-8 weeks with any permanent hair extensions.
After 3 months of wearing any permanent hair extensions the hair should be fully removed. This is a good opportunity to give your hair at least a week's break before having the extensions reapplied. This will allow your scalp to breathe and recover from the extra weight it has been carrying.
Nano Ring Hair Extensions Dos And Don'ts: Aftercare & Lifespan (back to index)
One of the best things about our Nano Hair Extensions here at Cliphair is the quality. They are made from AAAAA grade, Remy, Human, Double Drawn hair which equals a lifespan of 6 months to a year! However, your hair will only last this long if it is well looked after and according to our Aftercare advice, below we've listed some quick Do’s and Don'ts but for the full care guide click here.
- Brush hair regularly and separate knots at your roots, every morning and before bed. This will prevent matting from forming at the attachment area.
- Condition the ends well each time the hair is washed, this will keep your extensions healthy and hydrated.
- Use heat protection before straightening or curling your extensions. This will prevent the hair from drying out.
- Don't use shampoos that contain alcohol or sulphates. These ingredients are damaging to hair extensions and will strip the natural oils from the hair. Only use hair extension shampoos which are sulphate free, these are easily found online and in most high street stores.
- Don't over wash your hair. Your extensions will last far longer if they only washed when it's needed, we recommend no more than 1-2 times per week to keep them at their best. You can use our Cliphair Dry Shampoo in between washes to keep your roots fresh!
- Don't bleach or lighten your extensions. The hair can be dyed with semi permanent colour as long as you are making it darker but you should never bleach or lighten. Even semi dyes will affect the quality but bleaching will seriously harm the extensions.
Nano Ring Extension FAQS (back to index)
Can you reuse Nano Ring Hair Extensions?
Yes! You can use the hair multiple times as the tip always remains intact with Nanos making them very cost effective. You will just need to replace the Nanobeads with each refit.
How long do Nano Hair Extensions last?
Our Cliphair Nano Ring Extensions will last from 6 months to 1 year as long as they are looked after very well. Blonde and very light shades will normally have a slightly shorter lifespan.
How to dry Nano Ring Hair Extensions?
As Nano Ring Extensions are made from human hair you can dry them, curl them and straighten them. Take care not to aim the heat too close to the attachments (beads) as this can cause them to slip out and also break the beads.
How to wash Nano Hair Extensions?
You should always wash your hair with the water directed downwards towards your back when you have extensions attached. Washing your hair with your head flicked over a bath or sink can cause serious matting which could damage your hair.
Conclusion (back to index)
Now that you know all there is to know about Nano Ring hair extensions why not take a look through our wide range. We have lengths ranging from 16-22 and over 15 colours to choose from!
Thank you for reading our blog! We hope you enjoyed this article – if you liked what you’ve read, share this with your friends and follow us on our Social Media channels to keep up with the latest trends, tips, guides, and more!