Your Cart is empty
Styling Tutorial: Easy Up-dos for Bridal Hairstyles
Styling Tutorial: Easy Up-dos for Bridal Hairstyles
In todays blog we are going to show you how to create 2 of the most popular easy up-do wedding styles. The Classic ‘Low Bun’ and the ‘Fishtail Braid’ are not only stunningly chic but super simple to achieve with or without hair extensions. The carefree, bohemian vibe has become a firm favourite for bridal hairstyling in recent years. We’ve jumped on board, keeping our styles relaxed while gorgeously glam by using hair extensions to enhance the look. Read on to find out how we achieved these gorgeous styles, what was used and some handy tips for similar looks.
- Step By Step
- What We Used
The epic Low Bun is a timeless creation worn at all kinds of occasions. It is especially one of the most utilised looks in bridal hairstyling. Buns are a great way to look stylish whilst keeping the hair away from the face and off the back. It’s a perfect style to pair with a very detailed wedding dress as it prevents the hair from covering any delicate details.
In the video below the gorgeous Alison models a laidback low bun with a tousled fringe. This hairstyle was created by the super talented Chelsea (@theoriginalstylist_) using our Cliphair hair extensions to add volume to the bun.
- Step 1. First curl the hair to prepare, applying lots of hairspray at each step. This will help you to shape the bun later on.
- Step 2. Next, section the hair into 2 parts and backcomb the bottom section at the roots. This is to help the extensions grab onto the hair and stay secure.
- Step 3. This is the part when you add the hair extensions if you are using them. This style can absolutely be created without them however extensions will give your bun tons more volume and thickness, making it easier to shape! Attach the clips to the teased area at the roots and test to make sure it feels secure.
- Step 4. Once the extensions are in you can let the rest of the hair down to cover them. Now in sections, backcomb the top crown area to add volume. Once backcombed give a generous spray to keep that volume in place!
- Step 5. Now using the soft part of your brush, you can begin to shape a low but voluminous ponytail shape. Once you are happy with the positioning pull the hair together and secure the ponytail with a strong band.
- Step 6. After creating the ponytail shape, you can now pull slightly at the top to soften the look and smooth over any bumps or gaps in the hair. This is where your earlier backcombing of the top will come in handy to fill any holes
- Step 7. Now twist the ends of the hair to create a long spiral. Then, twist the spiralled hair back around the hairband in a bun shape, When you are happy with the shape firmly secure the bun with pins and spray.
- Step 8. Pull out some hair around the face and using irons loosely curl it away from the face. Remember you are going for laidback, boho vibes so you don’t need to be perfect. Some loose stray hairs actually enhance this effect.
- Step 9. Add a delicate bridal hair accessory into the bun, this is also a great way to hide any pins that are showing. We like to place our accessory slightly off centre to compliment the shape of the bun.
- Step 10. Finish the look with a spritz of our Cliphair Silky Moisture Spray to add shine and tame any pesky fly aways!
Believe it or not even though this look is called the ‘Fishtail Braid’ there is no braiding involved at all! The hair is cleverly put into layers of small ponytails each one hidden by the one before, then pulled apart which gives the overall effect of an intricate fishtail braid. Not only is this look strikingly beautiful its actually so much easier than most people think. What we love about this style is how creative you can be with your hair; it works so well to hide hair extensions so go wild with new colours and length. Experiment by adding blonde highlighted shades to dark hair for a balayaged masterpiece or go for super light icy ends on blonde hair. Check out the before and after underneath of our gorgeous model Alicia.
Before and After Fishtail Bridal Braid
- Step 1. First start by applying your clip in hair extensions. If you are using one of our Full Head Sets (which is what we would recommend for this style) we would position them mostly towards the back of the head and avoid placing around the hair line and sides. The hair is going to all be pulled back, so you won’t need a lot around the front. On Alicia’s hair we used the 22” Double Weft Full Head in shade #6/27.
- Step 2. Now curl the hair using a medium sized wand in sections, working from the bottom towards the top and sides. After each section apply a generous amount of hairspray, curling the hair will add texture to the finished look.
- Step 3. Once the hair is curled, backcomb the very top to add volume. Then you can form your first ponytail which will sit at the crown. Use a tiny, see-through elastic band to secure the Ponytail.
- Step 4. Directly underneath this Ponytail, pulling hair from either side, make your next ponytail again securing with a band. The previous ponytail can now be tucked inside the top of this one, you can pull the sides apart to loosen the shape once it has been secured.
- Step 5. Repeat the process of creating the ponytails and tucking the previous ones into the next all the way down to the end. Remember at each step pull the sides apart slightly after securing, this will make the hair appear thicker with more volume.
- Step 6. Once the ‘Braid’ has been formed with all the layered mini ponytails you can now customise the look to suit your own style. We like to pull random strands of hair out from around the hairline and neck to enhance the bohemian effect, especially around the face. You can also use your hands to slightly scrunch up the texture throughout the braid to add an even more casual twist.
- Step 7. Finish with a good spritz of texture spray and your chosen hair accessory. Vines and flowers compliment this style beautifully as they can be placed in between the tiny nooks of the braid.
What we used…
Now you know how to create 2 of the most sought-after bridal hairstyles, why not check out our ‘Ultimate guide to wedding hair’ with tons of other inspiration ideas and everything else you need to know about Bridal Hairstyling. Click Here to take a peek!
At Cliphair We've got a wide range of lengths and over 50 shades to choose from including our New Balayage colours! We've also got all the accessories and haircare products you need to apply and maintain them here.
Whatever your after you will find it in our selection and remember if you need any help choosing the right ones for you feel free to ask an expert and use our FREE Colour Match and Advice service by clicking the button below